Metal braces remain a common orthodontic treatment for patients of all ages. Wondering if they’re the right choice for you? Schedule your FREE consultation today with one of our orthodontists in South Georgia and Coastal South Carolina.
What are Traditional Metal Braces?
Traditional metal braces are a tried-and-true orthodontic treatment used to align teeth and improve your smile. With small metal brackets carefully attached to each tooth and connected by a thin wire, they gently guide and move your teeth into their correct positions.
Metal braces are durable and highly reliable, making them an excellent choice for a wide range of orthodontic issues—overcrowding, gaps, underbites, overbites, crossbites, and more. These types of braces have been used successfully for many decades to help countless people achieve beautiful, more confident smiles.
And while they’ve been an orthodontic stand-by for a long time, a number of advancements in orthodontic technology have made traditional metal braces more comfortable and less noticeable than ever! Whether you want to go “all out” by adding a fun, personalized touch via colorful elastic bands, or you want to keep things a bit more subdued, your Maginnis Orthodontics treatment coordinators will help keep treatment on track with regular orthodontist check-ups.
How Do Traditional Metal Braces Work?
Traditional metal braces apply gentle, consistent pressure on your teeth over time, strategically shifting them into their correct positions. No two smiles are the same, so your orthodontist installs and adjusts your braces to achieve results based on the unique features of your smile, jaw, and overall facial structure.
Here’s how it works:
- Brackets: These are small metal squares that serve as stable anchor points.
- Arch wire: A thin metal wire that we thread through all the brackets. Using this wire, your orthodontist adjusts the amount of applied force to gradually move your teeth.
- Elastic Bands: In order to maintain the right level of force, we use elastic bands attached to each bracket. They come in a variety of colors, adding a fun and customized element to the treatment.
- Adjustments: Over time, as your teeth shift toward their intended positions, your orthodontist will fine-tune your braces’ tension, typically during your regular orthodontic appointments every 4-6 weeks.
This process continues until your teeth have moved to their desired positions, and you have a beautiful, confident smile with a balanced, well-aligned bite. The length of the treatment can vary depending on your unique needs, and the average treatment time is around 1-3 years. Then we’ll create a retainer to keep your smile in place for a lifetime.
6 Benefits of Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces have been a reliable orthodontic treatment for many decades and continue to be popular due to their numerous benefits:
- Effectiveness: Metal braces are incredibly effective, whether you need simple straightening or have a more severe, complex set of bite issues like an under- or overbite.
- Durability: Made from high-grade stainless steel, metal braces are strong, resilient, and can withstand the rigors of daily life. For that reason, metal braces are a great choice for children and teenagers, who may be more likely to break or damage more delicate appliances.
- Adjustability: Traditional braces allow for precise control over tooth movement. Your orthodontist can make small adjustments during your visits to ensure treatment stays on track.
- Cost: Metal braces are generally the most affordable type of orthodontic treatment, making them accessible to more patients. While the actual cost varies depending on your unique needs, braces can often be more budget-friendly than other types of braces.
- Personalization: Metal braces allow for a bit of fun with personalization. The elastic bands come in a wide range of colors. Choose your favorite color, match them to a holiday, or show off your school or favorite team’s colors.
- Improved Technology: Today’s metal braces are more comfortable and sleeker than ever before. They’re smaller, more efficient, and designed with your comfort in mind.
While wearing traditional metal braces does require commitment, it’s a proven path to achieving a healthier smile that can boost your self-confidence for a lifetime.
Book a Consultation for Metal Braces in South Georgia and South Carolina
In the skilled hands of your Maginnis Orthodontics doctor, traditional metal braces deliver reliable, safe results at an affordable price. We invite you to look at a few of the before and after results we’ve achieved, and when you’re ready, please schedule a free consultation for braces with an orthodontist near you to start your smile journey!